Punkoiska lostndamned
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you go back to pos?

+8
Ick McWang
Guana
Norwood
DoWot
lizard
bacon
Gnat
Howling
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would you go back to pos? Empty Would you go back to pos?

Post by Howling Mon May 20, 2013 12:56 pm

My answer would have to be yes. It is one of the few places i feel at home and relaxed on the internet.
I would be telling fibs if i said i wasnt pissed off with the complete lack of information we have recieved but i love the place too much too much
Howling
Howling
Admin

https://poslostndamned.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Would you go back to pos? Empty Re: Would you go back to pos?

Post by Gnat Mon May 20, 2013 2:15 pm

I think theres little chance itwould happen but yeah i would. I think it was a dick move not to tell anyone anything but what can you do... However if we manage to get most of the old regulars here there wouldnt be much of a need to go back
Gnat
Gnat

Back to top Go down

Post by Howling Mon May 20, 2013 2:23 pm

This isnt set up as a replacement its a free forun template so no tracker and if anything go wrong am dead in the water lol.
I dont want this to be a replacement am holding faith that bj gonna sort it out
Howling
Howling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bacon Mon May 20, 2013 9:13 pm

Its getting to the point you can tell how long youve been at pos by the number of crashes you can count lol, like tree rings..
bacon
bacon

Back to top Go down

Post by bacon Mon May 20, 2013 9:13 pm

but yes, id go back
bacon
bacon

Back to top Go down

Post by lizard Mon May 20, 2013 9:21 pm

yep I'd go back as usual Laughing
but as howling said in his first post I am pissed off with the lack of info made available to the old regulars etc

lizard

Back to top Go down

Post by bacon Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 pm

I hoped for a warning ...ya know.."im going tru some shit right now" "pos might disappear for a month etc"
bacon
bacon

Back to top Go down

Post by DoWot Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 am

I'd go back, Pos is the most friendly ,funny Punk site i've seen.

DoWot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnat Tue May 21, 2013 1:56 am

bacon wrote:I hoped for a warning ...ya know.."im going tru some shit right now" "pos might disappear for a month etc"

Yeah exactly, that wouldnt have taken any effort whatsoever.
Gnat
Gnat

Back to top Go down

Post by Norwood Tue May 21, 2013 5:11 am

Yea I would go back I guess... Actually I know I would, I would miss everyone to much. Where's chisox and OTA?
Norwood
Norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by bacon Tue May 21, 2013 12:35 pm

Norwood wrote:Yea I would go back I guess... Actually I know I would, I would miss everyone to much. Where's chisox and OTA?

Listening to DKM lol.
bacon
bacon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guana Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm

^ That's something I haven't missed

I'd always go back, POS has been a big part of my life for quite a while now, you can get music anywhere but a board with good people and conversation is a hard thing to find.
Trouble is, I'm not sure if it's gonna be coming back from the ashes this time, the whole paypal thing is a bit of a deal-breaker, when it was working the board funded itself but since they got arsey with torrent sites it's so hard to pay the bills.
BJ's sentimental about POS, that's why he's kept it going even though he hardly uses it himself, but he's always had a lot of IRL shit to deal with and POS hitting his pocket every month is a bit of as shitter.
Keeping my fingers crossed anyway.
Guana
Guana

Back to top Go down

Post by Howling Tue May 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Yeah the fact that he stopped responding to my emails and couldnt seem to face us is why i started this place up. And if it looks like it really wont come back i think a few of us should take the time to set up something more permanent and reinstate the tracker to bring in new members as this isnt going to be viewable to the public as a punk site i dont think.

I wouldnt want to drop the pos name as its such a big part of what defines us as a group
We have as a site always been the scrappy three legged under dog with flea issues and alchoholics halitosis and thats why we work lol
Howling
Howling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ick McWang Wed May 22, 2013 2:36 am

Just so you guys know, I don't know a damn thing more than you do about anything. I don't have BJ's contact info, although he does have mine, so whatever.

Guana laid it out pretty well two posts up, BJ hasn't been around much since the last crash, as I am sure everyone knows. The paypal rules have really fucked things up, we had no real way to fund the site without using bitcoin, which I don't care who says is the next big thing, bitcoin is fucking sketchy when it comes to getting your bitcoins into cash. I had BJ look up the closest retailer where he could get cash from bitcoins and it was over an hour drive away from where he is in Canada. So he was looking at a 2+ hour round trip drive just to convert the stupid bitcoin into money, just to pay a stupid server bill.

That last crash really took the wind out of our sails, I believe, we really had something going on that snazzy forum build, and then poof it was gone, and we were back to an old school board.

The lack of communication has been my biggest peeve, and I am the longest running admin on the site for christssakes, outside of aKa. MAD was first, but he retired. If I dont know WTF is going on, what does that say for the members?

I consider you guys my friends, some even my family, as I converse with ya'll more than my real family at times. I've been talking to some of you guys nearly a decade at this point, longer than almost all of my IRL friends.

Howling, you in no way are stepping on anyone's toes, I would think BJ would actually be proud he helped create a community that would create its own free forum just to stay in contact with each other after a month of wondering whats going on.

As far as the tracker, that won't happen on a free forum software. I know BJ always said, he would rather have a site with 40 members, but active people in the forums, than a site with 20000 members but 19960 of them are leeching fucks

Also, in real terms, to keep the domain name, if BJ were to throw in the towel (how would we know, he hasn't said a damn thing to anyone, he could be sick, in jail, dead, fuck if I know), the punkoiska.com domain would have to be either acquired form BJ himself, or bought when the domain expires.
Just looked that up on whois.net, it expires January 29, 2014. Although I see some of the contact info lists Queensland Australia... perhaps it is in MAD's name? I could probably get ahold of MAD far easier than BJ at this point

Howling, sir, set me up on admin status, and we can get this little thing going for the time being, while we gather ourselves. If BJ is out, we figure out what to do.

It's a bummer without the tracker, but honestly, I imagine we all know how to get music elsewhere. Each and every one of you should be a member of punktorrents and kraytracker even if all you use them for is music. I find kraytracker to be very organized, even though I am partial to PT

I do want to say, I hope BJ is ok. In my opinion, if he wanted to be done with the site, or maybe couldn't afford to deal with it financially or timewise, someone could have taken it over. aKa did that for a little while once before and all worked out. So at first glance, it seems to me that something else may be up. That's why I hope he is ok.

Ick McWang
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Howling Wed May 22, 2013 7:05 am

There you go man you should be admin now.
Howling
Howling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guana Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 am

Hey Ick Very Happy
The Queensland address will definitely be MAD's, he's pretty much done with torrent sites but any info we need we can get from him easily enough.
The main problem being though, even if we keep the domain name and set up a tracker we'd have all the problems with payments that BJ's got now, not to mention setting up all the licenses and software needed to run the board. I remember enough from the GSTS days to do most of it but tbh the last thing I want to do is get involoved in something like that again, and despite your best intentions Howling, neither do you, it's massively time consuming, one of the main reasons I stepped down was because I was spending between 8 and 16 hours a day sat in front of my PC, fucks up your family life big time, I don't know many people that got involved that deeply without it causing problems.
POS was pretty much self sustaining and low maintenance but it took years to get it to that point.
I don't think there's really an option of just resurrecting POS, it's BJ's baby, he loved the place and was rightfully proud of what he'd started, I'm not sure just handing it over is ever going to happen and personally I don't think it ever should happen. That's why when POS dropped the tracker all those years ago GSTS was started, but it means building from the ground up and that's a lot of work and costs with no guaranteed success.
Now for me, the music has always come second to the community, as it was with BJ and MAD and all the other people back in the day, but we've always seen it as necessary to pull people in to build that community and that's the only reason torrents have ever been attached to these sites, you need a huge volume of members to get just a few good blokes together like we've got here, that's why POF suffers, you have to be open and findable to get them in, but then you need a server that doesn't fall under the immediate jurisdiction of the many fuckers who want to shut sites like that down (and the ones that qualify aren't the most reliable of servers) and you need the means to pay for it without attaching paypal to the board, it's all uphill.
I think atm the best thing to do is to sit tight with this place and try to drag as many of the old survivors in, like Ick says, everybody should be on PT or Kray, we've given the heads up. but it's a case of waiting, find out exactly what's happening with POs and then see what we can do.
Once again though, top marks to you Howling for setting this place up to keep things together, the worst part of a site going down is losing contact with so many mates at once.
Guana
Guana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ick McWang Sat May 25, 2013 6:25 am

Yes, top marks to Howling for setting up something. I think the whole internet thing is changing- myself, BA from PT, Bob from my radio show, and a few others got on a conversation about how instant access to music, via youtube, itunes, spotify, what have you, has turned torrenting music into an almost passe thing, like who downloads whole albums when you can pay spotify 10 bucks a month and have access to every freaking thing under the sun
(except punk rock, which is where our niche niche niche crowd actually can get a foothold, is that punk bands arent usually on spotify unless they are on a "bigger" label.)
so if people aren't coming to find a band, then they dont come at all. thats the theory behind POS having a tracker. That, and in the beginning, it was a way around PT's ban on Fat Wreck. Whenever someone would bitch in a PT thread about anything, Steve or TBo or JayniB would be like, start your own site, stop bitching. So we did. LOL

If any of you clownshoes need an invite to kray, i have as many as I need. But I assume you guys are already there. Supertorrents is pretty decent for an all-purpose site, I find some Euro-punk there that I dont find on Kray or PT in their music section. I have a couple invites for that as well. I have a membership at what.cd but i find the site too... nose-in-the-air for my taste.

BTW Guana you hit the head of the nail on how time consuming this can be. I imagine a lot of you guys thought I was a flake or not dedicated enough because I wouldn't spend all day on the site (back when, particularly the GSTS/PSHXC days), but I have Real Life shit I couldn't let take a back seat.

Ick McWang
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Howling Sat May 25, 2013 6:56 am

Hmmm given me some food for thought here. May have been considering running before i could walk.
Howling
Howling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickat13 Sat May 25, 2013 7:46 am

Even though I haven’t been that long with POS I just wanted to let you guys know that if you need any help in getting this thing going again you can count me in
Mickat13
Mickat13

Back to top Go down

Post by ratman Sat May 25, 2013 10:12 am

yes i would. It has the most friendly people of all the private trackers i have been to & less rules also.
ratman
ratman

Back to top Go down

Post by bacon Sat May 25, 2013 7:00 pm

IM not on kray, if its invites only can someone throw me one?
bacon
bacon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ick McWang Sat May 25, 2013 8:22 pm

bacon wrote:IM not on kray, if its invites only can someone throw me one?

check your pm

anyone else need one, let me know

Ick McWang
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bacon Sat May 25, 2013 8:24 pm

for some reason It wont let me post my email in pm, too nooby i reckon
bacon
bacon

Back to top Go down

Post by bacon Sat May 25, 2013 8:27 pm

just replied had to spell out email phonetically lol
bacon
bacon

Back to top Go down

Post by Norwood Sun May 26, 2013 7:01 am

Yea I haven't got a membership at Kray ick, is it worth it, it's hard for me to keep a 1-1 ratio. Are they pretty tight on that? I can do it, it just takes ages. It took me 2 years at POS to get a ratio of about 4-5. I can't have Internet access very much.
Norwood
Norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum